Lundy Funeral Home & Cremation Service, Inc. is the premiere independently owned funeral and cremation service provider in the North Country.
The current Lundy Funeral Home is a direct business descendant of the Joseph Weekes & Son hardware firm of Harrisville founded in the 1880s. Around 1920, the funeral directing department was sold to Harrisville businessman Ray F. Dunlop. In 1936, Mr. Dunlop and Natural Bridge funeral director Floyd J. Ulmann founded the Ulmann & Dunlop Home for Funerals in Carthage. In the late 1930s, Mr. Dunlop sold his interest to DeAlton F. Bossuot and after Mr. Ulmann's death in 1952, Ulmann & Bossuot was incorporated as the Bossuot Funeral Home, Inc.
Samuel P. Lundy had purchased the Dunlop funeral business in Harrisville and renamed it the Lundy Funeral Home. In 1974, Mr. Lundy purchased the Bossuot Funeral Home, Inc. in Carthage, merged the two, and renamed the business the Bossuot-Lundy Funeral Home, Inc. Which is now called the Lundy Funeral Home & Cremation Chapel.
In 1995, Cullen D. Lundy, became a Licensed Funeral Director and returned to Carthage, eventually purchasing the business in January of 2000. Cullen continues to operate the funeral business, now named the Lundy Funeral Home & Cremation Service, Inc., along with Lundy Services Medical Transportation, founded in 1997. He is also a consultant to Finger Lakes Medical Transportation, operating from the Royce-Chedzoy Funeral Home in Watkins Glen, NY.
In 2005, Nicole M. LaRue, an Ogdensburg native, served her residency here and continued her employment as a Licensed Funeral Director. She manages the day to day operations of the Funeral Home and also serves as our lead pre-need counselor.
We currently serve the area with two locations. Our Funeral Home in Philadelphia is located on the Town Line Road., on Route 11 and our main office is located at 500 State Street, Carthage. The historic building is the former home of Dingman Chevrolet and Western Auto.
The Lundy Funeral Home in Carthage is the only one in the area to offer a chapel on the premises for services, as well as two large viewing rooms for visitations. The preparation area has been redesigned, incorporating the latest in mortuary and safety equipment and we offer the most modern fleet of funeral vehicles.
We have constantly update our arrangements office with the latest technology available. These not only assist the Directors, but they also act as a tool that helps families make educated decisions.
In April, 2008, the Scherer Funeral Home at 1 Bridge St., West Carthage was purchased from longtime area Funeral Director, William J. Scherer. The business continues to operate at 500 State St., Carthage. The Harrisville Funeral Home was sold in 2009., The Reverend Samuel P. Lundy, Anglican Priest, now resides at the former Copenhagen Funeral Home where it now serves as his Church Chapel.